Friday, February 26, 2010

Of Wedding Dresses and Losing Weight

I think I might have to stop donating to the gym and start using it for real.

Allow me to explain.

A year and a half ago, or two months after my then-boyfriend (and now-husband) finally realized he couldn't live without me and asked me to marry him, I went to David's Bridal with my sister with the sole intention of just-to-look. We came to the door, and were greeted by a saleswoman who's got a very strong persuasive power she'd probably convince Rush Limbaugh to become a Democrat. I told her what my intention was, and off she went to bring out dresses I could try on. I did, and one dress in particular caught my eye and sent my heart into a frenzy flutter. I knew right then and there it was the ONE. I just have to have it! It didn't matter that we haven't set a wedding date at that time. Between the saleslady's strong persuasive powers and my typical shopaholic's ability of turning just-to-look into i-gotta-buy, I knew my willpower's at the losing end. Well... I don't have to tell you how that battle played out.



Fast forward to the present.

I ended up just having a preliminary civil wedding, and since I didn't wanna look like a crazy, overdressed bride walking around the courthouse, I decided to wear a short, simpler dress. I figured I'll just wear the ONE when the right time comes.

Unfortunately, I didn't take into consideration what a year of marriage does to people... it makes you gain weight!

So yesterday, I was trying on my size 2 wedding dress when I realized... que horror, I couldn't get into it!!! This naturally resulted to me screaming for Hubby at the top of my lungs he thought I cut off my arm or something. With his help and some belly-tucking and breath-holding, I finally got into my dress. It still fits, although obviously... just barely.

So now, here I am, onto my 35-day mission of losing at least five pounds before our vow renewal ceremony. I'm starting tomorrow. Let's see how long will I last. If you haven't guessed yet, I'm not a fitness buff, but right now, I've got the motivation!

Needless to say, my husband - the workout junkie, was so happy, he's thinking of renewing our wedding vows every year. You know... if that's what it takes to get me to the gym.

23 comments:

justme said...

it's a beautiful dress...really. i'm sure you can do it with that motivation looming over you!

~~Mel~~ said...

It's amazing what a little motiviation does to you, isn't it?

I only dream of being a size 2 but I bet you can do it...stupid relationship/marriage fat...I have it too and haven't even had the actual wedding ceremony lol. But it all started for me when he moved in and I started cooking moer.

Haley Dawn said...

Same thing happened to me! but instead I brought my ill fitting dress back to the store and inadvertently purchased a new even cooler dress! Good luck and maybe we can keep each other motivated!

Nikolett said...

Aww, such a gorgeous dress! That whole situation reminds me of "Bride Wars" when Kate Hudson can't fit into her dress ... It's good your husband is a workout junkie because it's always good to have that workout partner to keep your motivation up!

And please give me tricks to get down to a size 2 :) Hope you have a good weekend!

Leona said...

The layout changed, right? It's cute.

A beautiful dress :) And good luck!

Lauren said...

This totally cracked me up, good luck! I'm a gym crazy person myself! I'm sure you can do it, that dress is gorgeous and a great motivation!

Jenn said...

Oh la la!! It's beautiful.
Size 2? Seriously.
I don't even think my thigh is a size 2. lol
You're amazing!

Errant said...

awww .. so beautiful .. so so beautiful .. you gotta fit in no matter what !

ashley cole said...

darling. if you were ever a size 2, you can get back there in no time. also...my friends and I call the whole donate to the gym thing ...fat tax.

The Less Than Domestic Goddess said...

Beautiful dress! I found your blog through Cheap Wife, and glad that I did. I'll definitely be back :)

Anything Fits A Naked Man said...

I....LOVE this dress! Good luck with the weight loss, you're going to look BEAUTIFUL in that thing!

Daydream Believer said...

You can do it!!

Americanising Desi said...

i dont quite understand why we cant stay of the same weight :(

Sara said...

I can do it with you if you need motivation! Gaining weight is one of the scarier things about getting married!

MrsJenB said...

Beautiful dress! I can see how that would grab you the way it did. I felt the same way about mine, there was just no alternative once I tried it on. Good luck, you can totally do this!

Nashe^ said...

QUE HORROR. lol!!

I need that sort of motivation now... I'm a tub of lard right now.

Mrs Montoya said...

Good Luck! You can totally do it and you'll be so glad you did. That dress is gorgeous!!

C said...

whatta a beautiful dress! oh you will look like a princess in that! you can do this chloie, yes you can.

prolly just by increasing excersize too, not really cutting out calories!

good luck, princess.

SheBloggs said...

5 lbs! No problem! You can drink some cleansing tea one day and get that done. :o)

I tagged you with the HAPPY AWARD.

<3

Rebekah said...

That is a very pretty dress! I agree, marriage does make you gain weight. I've only been married for 7 months and I can already tell a slight difference. It's time to start running again. Thanks for finding my blog and following!

Mrs. Carioca said...

Thanks for following my blog. I look forward to reading yours as well!

Erin said...

Good luck girl! As the ceremony gets closer may you have just enough stress to help you out with that! A cake cancellation at the last minute and incomplete guest list was enough to do it for me.

Nicole said...

yeahhh... that marriage thing isnt good for our bodies. ive scheduled a 'trash the dress' session this spring (2 yrs after my wedding!) and im seriously afraid my dress will not fit. legitimately.