Wednesday, February 17, 2010

The Domesticated Wife



Yesterday, since Cleveland was being hammered with snow again (like it's something new!), and the Hubby had a doctor's appointment that I had to tag along to, I decided to declare it my holiday and take the day off. I figured it would also be the perfect time to show him that I'm not just a sweet, smart and pretty wife (hey, this is my blog, I can say anything I want!), but a domestic one as well. I wanted him to think he  married the perfect woman -  moodiness and crankiness aside. You know... in exchange, for being an awesome husband and sending me a beautiful bouquet of flowers at my work!

So right after I woke up, I decided to clean the entire house. I took out the vacuum cleaner, the mop, and all the cleaning supplies. Halfway through vacuuming however, the darn machine decided to break down. With almost two-thirds of the house done, I opted to just move to the next task. Who peeks in corners and under the beds, anyway?

Next... cook a lovely dinner. There I was, sauteing chicken while uninhibitedly dancing to Rihanna's music, when my cellphone rang. It was a friend I invited to our upcoming vow renewal ceremony. And as we were getting carried away talking about the wedding plans, I realized.... wait a minute, I was cooking something! Well, I don't have to tell you how that lovely dinner turned out.

Finally, I decided to just wash the dishes from the other night. Because... that's just how domesticated I am. Just as I'm sure you had predicted, one of the drinking glasses broke, and cut my tiny finger! Blood started oozing out. Lots of it! Now, I have an aversion to blood and faint at the sight of too much of it, so this, naturally, triggered a big panic. But you'd be proud of me. Really proud. Because I bravely took out a gauze, and dressed my own wound! And did it with alternate closing of each eye! Everything went smoothly, until I realized I still have to take a shower so I can go to the doctor. I ran out of those vinyl gloves at home, so you can just imagine the pain I went through washing my hair with one hand.

In the end, I was just so glad that I have a husband who prepares his own lunch, washes his own clothes, clean the house and loves me for who I am. Domesticated or not.

My wonderful girlfriends, are you a domestic woman? And does your significant other care if you are? And for men, is being domesticated one of your criteria in choosing the woman to marry?

15 comments:

Maki said...

I'm a domestic woman when I want to be!! LOL. I do try to be a good wife though because my husband loves clean home which I'm not so great at keeping up... But I love to cook!

Stay warm!

p.s. love your new look:)

Anam Siddique said...

You have an awesome husband, Masha'Allah. I'm not very domestic girl but I can do things finely when needed and yeah, I've a love for home and family so I can do it all out of love. It's just that I don't like being treated as a 24/7 maid, which is very common among the society I live in. I wish I could get a husband like that but that's almost impossible to get. *sighs*

Jenn said...

I'm so domesticated you'd cry! I even do the stuff some men should be doing around these parts.
Someday I'll be able to kick my feet up and watch someone else do it. :-)

Love the layout!

Ian said...

No, that doesn't bother me. The wife and I split everything down the middle. She does certain things and so do I. Sometimes we switch but whenever it comes down to getting something done quick we always help each other out.

Anything Fits A Naked Man said...

My husband and I have a great system, but I admit it seems to mystify everyone of our friends! He does the majority of the cooking and cleaning (I KNOW!), because he's an AWESOME chef and really enjoys it! I do the after dinner clean-up, complete with dish washing.

I also mow the lawn (GREAT exercise!) and do the bill paying. We like it, but the neighbors are always a bit miffed when they see me behind the push mower, and my husband getting in the car to do the grocery shopping!

Glad you're OK!!

Caro said...

My man does absolutly nothing around the house...not true he dirties the clothes and dishes and eats the food...no comments on this.

Dana said...

I WAS blissfully domesticated, pre-blogaholism....

BTW, I linked this post in my blog today ("your attempts at domestication").

:D

Erin said...

I am for the most part. I love cooking and I know hubs appreciates that, and I'm really good at cleaning I just don't do it very often. I'm working on that this Lent. Sorry about your finger!

Andhari said...

I'm definitely not! lol i"m a kitchen disaster and I hope someday i can marry a guy who loves to cook :p otherwise we'll be lacking of nutrients and starve or something :p

Mrs Montoya said...

I'm pretty domestic, but only because I love a clean house and there is NO ONE else in my family that will do it. I'm not a great cook, though. It's the one thing I wish I did better. But otherwise I'm pretty close to perfect - LOL! I hope you enjoyed your holiday in spite of the broken vacuum, spewing blood and burned dinner :)

Leona said...

What's important is you tried, right?

Sorry to hear about your cut, though. Get better soon.

I'm not the type who's good in cooking, but I do fairly well in cleaning and washing clothes. Haha.

Sassy Chica said...

What a darling blog...LOVE IT...I am a new follower and cant wait to read more!

Smooches,
Sassy Chica

ChinkyGirLMeL said...

Hahahaha. Ok, I'm sorry, but I really laughed at loud when I tried to picture you dressing your bloody wound with alternating closed eye. hahahaha. too cute. sounds like something I might possibly have done

[Rhiannon][Wretchdz] said...

I'm a domestic goddess in the kitchen...not so much when it comes to cleaning.

Brandi said...

Good for you! Even with everything going against you, you still fought back and did the most you could! :)