Monday, February 23, 2009

A Tribute to Atom

Before you decide to skip this post, let me assure you that I'm not going to be geeky and discuss molecules and atoms. Atom is the name of my beautiful, tabby cat. (Although, come to think of it, who else but a geek would name her cat Atom? But.... on my defense, I named him after my gorgeous college 'crush' who apparently has geeky parents!)


This weekend I'm giving up Atom to a friend. I'm letting him go with a real heavy heart.

I still remember the first time I saw him. It was four years ago in an animal shelter close to where I live. The decision to go there and adopt a cat was an impulse. An impulse born out of a childish vengeance. A vengeance on a cheater ex-boyfriend who was severely allergic to cats. It was my immature way of letting him know he's never welcome in my apartment ever again, and a desperate reminder to myself that I won't be foolish as to let him weaken my resolve not to let him in my life again (since I really don't wanna be sued if I let him stay in my apartment and he ends up in a hospital :-) ) . Crazy, I know, but when you're high on emotions and pent-up anger, you'd do crazy things. Don't get me wrong, I really love cats but I never thought I'd have the time to take care of one - as graduate school keep me busy enough! But I needed a reason for the Ex to stop pestering me. And living in my apartment heartbroken and lonely, I needed any breathing thing to keep me company. Roommates cause complications so I did the next best thing... get a cat.


Atom was a quiet cat when I met him. Having lived inside a cage for several months, he wasn't used to people. He wouldn't allow me to touch him, would hide in the cabinet and would only come out in the middle of the night when I'm sleeping. I practiced extreme patience, and little by little, he started warming up to me, until he finally fell in love with me. Now, four years later, he'd wait by the door when he hears my keys and wouldn't get off my lap even when I try to force him. We've been through a lot together. I took him with me when I moved to Pennsylvania after graduate school, and again when I moved back to Ohio.

But unfortunately, karma does exist. Who would have thought that years later I would again fall in love with another guy who's also allergic to cats? Once again I'm heartbroken, because now, I've got to give up my beloved cat who's been with me through most of my life here in US! (Ah, the things we do for love!) I used to tease Fiance, ' Hhmm... Atom or Fiance? Tough decision, huh?'

Well, at least I'm giving Atom to a friend. That way I can take him back in case, you know... (I'm just kidding!)

Anyway, to cheer me up, Fiance promised to get me a dog when we buy our house. :-)

10 comments:

floreta said...

awww so sweet though! sounds like a good reason to get a cat to me! lol.. and i love how you came up with the name... so beyond geeky!

Anonymous said...

now that is a treat :D
me not have a cat yet!
argh!

Sassy Britches said...

Oh, that's a pooper that you can't keep Atom! Will your cat be heartbroken?

And what a lovely gesture that Fiance wants to get you a dog!

The Other K Wick said...

Awww. Sorry to hear about your cat. I thought Atom was a cute name. Best wishes on the dog.

Amarie said...

Very bittersweet. He's been your constant, loyal companion. I'm sure your friend will take great care of him.
(((hugs)))

Chele said...

oh that is so heartbreaking, at least a friend will get your cat.
You know you can get allergy shots right? I get them for my allergies

Michelle Fluttering Butterflies said...

What a shame you can't keep Atom! I thought it was a great story of how he came to be in your life anyway :)

Moi said...

awwww it is sweet of you to do that for your fiance-. sorry you have to give up your cat! atleast its a friend who is taking him.

The Other K Wick said...

Sending you and award. See my blog.

Hepburn Hilton said...

How sad.... I have a dor, for me it would be like giving up my baby. You baby looks, real cute and I loce the name!