Monday, February 2, 2009

Of Rejection and Breaking Up

A friend of mine called me the other day, asking for advice on how to break up with her boyfriend. Things between them are not working out the way she wanted, and she feels that she's not in love with him anymore. The guy however, is the ultimate definition of Mr. Nice and so she feels awful about breaking his heart.

I'm not a relationship guru, but my dating history has some of my friends teasingly dubbing me as the 'break-up expert'. After my first disastrous relationship, I developed a phobia of commitment, and so became a serial dater who run away at the slightest signs of complications. I went through a number of short-term relationships for a few years, until I met Fiance. Now, I'm making the ultimate form of commitment... marriage.

I'd admit that I do have some experiences, but even so, I don't think I've ever learned how to break up or reject a guy's advances without hurting his feelings. You can be brutally honest, or you can break it gently and lie about the real reason of why you don't wanna be with him, but either way, you still hurt him - his feelings or his pride.

Because the bottom line is... rejection sucks!

What I have learned though, is that guys take it in different ways.

There are guys who are man enough to accept your decision graciously without causing a scene or making a big deal out of it. They accept that rejection is a part of life, or that the two of you are not suited for each other (they're probably on the same page as you, you just beat them to it), and then move on with their lives.

There are guys however, who can't take rejection gracefully. Whenever that happens, it only strengthens my conviction that I was right in breaking up! I once dated a guy who, afer we broke up, started speading rumors on how crazy I was in bed, when in reality I never even slept with him! And then there was this guy who deleted me as his Facebook friend because I didn't wanna go out with him!

Over the course of years, I've come to the conclusion that it's usually better to take the honest road when breaking up with or saying No to somebody. It's better to say that you don't feel a connection between the two of you or other ACTUAL reasons why you had to break up, rather than go though the cliches of break-up lines made for the purpose of sparing his feelings. Trust me, guys can actually see through the 'it's not you, it's me' or the 'I don't think I'm ready to be in a relationship right now' lies (although in my case, those lines are probably true at that time)! Just be honest. A decent and confident man will respect you more for it.

Actually, I've learned my lesson about lying the hard way when, on a grocery store, I told a guy that I was new in town and didn't have a phone when he asked me for my number. God must have been watching and shaking his head because the moment I said that, my phone started ringing! (Talk about awkward!). I was trying to spare the guy's feelings but I guess, honesty is usually the best policy! (Or maybe I should have used a different excuse ;-) )

Rejection sucks, but it IS a part of life (for both men and women, and in relationship or other aspect of life!). As Bo Bennet said, 'rejection is nothing more than a necessary step in the pursuit of success.'

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Most of us don’t have skin thick enough to completely ward off the effects. We are “only human” after all.

floreta said...

i love your posts. you mostly talk about relationships but i like that..

anyway, i can see some hope for me if you were once phobic to commitment too!

Sassy Britches said...

Right on! It's sooooo tough to be honest because you don't want to hurt anyone's feelings. But if you don't, it always somehow comes back to bite you in the tootie. I always take the approach that I would want someone to take with me. It doesn't work for everybody's ego, but no one can truly call you the bad guy if you're honest!

Bella@That damn expat said...

Great post!

Although I don't agree with that last part in the store.
If a complete stranger asks you out why should you tell him that he is too ugly/stupid to go out with you? No phone, or busy, or taken is a better way to go.

Lisa said...

Rejection does suck and I think you can try to do your best at not hurting someone's feelings as much as possible, but it just depends on where the other person is and what kind of person they are...

And it might not have been a commitment issue for you. Maybe you were just waiting for the right guy. :)

Jill said...

That's so funny about your phone's perfect timing.

I agree. Honestly is best. I've used the "no connection" many times and only had one guy freak about it because HE felt the chemistry. But, he was delusional. *sigh* :)

RachelAnn said...

Breakups are tough. I should know, I just dumped my bf for the third and final time!!!

hHf said...

thanks for the sweet comment :)

I love this post and especially the last quote!

excited to follow your blog

Hepburn Hilton said...

Poor dude .. :)

Chele said...

I so needed this post, I am going through the same thing where I need to tell mr.nice I dont want to see them anymore. Thanks this helped building up some courage in me

The Other K Wick said...

Honesty is very hard.

I tagged you in my blog, by the way.

C said...

i think honesty is the best way to go. i dont like to hurt any one's feelings, either, but it helps to tell them something positive about themselves, first, before dropping the axe.

C

SheBloggs said...

You already got the Lemonade award, but I showed some luv on my blog..<3

Alice said...

amen sista....

Jill said...

I see you've already been tagged on this award, but I gave it to you before I knew. Check out my blog when you get a chance. Threw some love at ya. ;)