Friday, February 6, 2009

The Unspoken Rules of Friendship

Imagine yourself stranded on an island, like Tom Hanks in the movie Castaway, with no one to talk to and interact with. You might welcome the peace and serenity for a few days, but after a week of solitary existence, I'm sure you'll start to go crazy with loneliness and boredom!

As the old adage goes, no man is an island. You need someone to share your joys with, someone to lean on and care for, and someone to talk to. That someone doesn't need to be a person to fall in love with, just someone you can be friends with.

In my twenty nine years of existence in this world, I feel fortunate to have found friends who gave meaning to the real definition of the word. They were friends who acted as my cheering squad during competitions and after heartbreaks, my so-called 'accomplices in crimes', my psychologists who analyzes every aspect of my problems, and my supreme court who judges dates and potential boyfriends.

In short, they were friends who made my life easier and happier.

Although I always have lots of male friends, my friendships with women are the ones that stood the test of time. Guys aren't always great at keeping in touch, and friendship with men sometimes causes complications... complications like him falling for you or vice versa, having a jealous boyfriend who can't stand the thought of you being so close to a male friend, or him having a jealous girlfriend who can't stand the thought of you. That's not to say however, that I don't have long-lasting male friends. I do. Most guys are wonderful friends and I love hearing their perspectives on things.

Still, women understand and relate to each other better, and so make truly amazing friends! That doesn't mean though, that women friendships are always smooth sailing. I think one of the main ingredients in having successful ones is following some sort of unwritten girl laws.

These are the top five rules my girlfriends and I used to live by (now that we're all older and miles away from each other, the major rule just seems to be ... always keep in touch!). Feel free to add yours.

1. Be there when she needs you. Oftentimes, a girl friend just needs someone who will listen or a shoulder to cry on, so be one.

2. Accept her for everything she is. A true friendship is one where you should feel most comfortable being your real self.

3. Never compete or fight over a guy. It's not worth it. Boyfriends come and go, but true friends stick together though the end of time. (And that brings me to not neglecting your friends the minute you found a boyfriend!)

4. Never date your friend's ex. He might be an ex, but he's definitely off limits. How would you feel if your friend who knows most of the gory details of your past relationship dates the guy who's the main character of those stories? (Some people might not agree with me on this, but trust me, it's better!)

5. Be honest. I'm always an advocate of honesty, because I'd rather get hurt knowing the truth than feel like a fool later for being lied to. That basically includes telling me if you saw my boyfriend with another woman or if you caught him lying to me!

Friends are one of the greatest things in this world. As Edna Buchanan quoted, 'friends are family that WE CHOOSE for ourselves.' Enough said!

13 comments:

Bella@That damn expat said...

Great post!

Although I have something to say on the ex part. I agree if it's a major ex from a real relationship. If it's a random hookup, or someone I dated for a few weeks, my girlfriends are free to go for it.

Anonymous said...

brilliant!
me and my friends somewhat shared similar rules...
but my girlfriends and me had a 'never take advantage' policy, where no matter what no one has the right to use a friend as a doormat, indeed a comfy couch thing would work or even a tissue to wipe tears off, but never a door mat.

and there is no "I told you so" even though one of us fucks it up and cries but no friend has the right to say that. obviously we dont see it and when it comes it is natural to fall apart!

Lisa said...

I'm with you. I have some really great guy friends, but I cherish my girls so much.

SheBloggs said...

Yes, good rules! I might be the bad friend at keeping in touch espically if we're many miles apart. I can keep touch like every 4 or 5 months and be ok with it. The ex thing is totally the same with my friends. Even if she were just intrested.. he's off limits. It just causes no problems in that area..

Mrs. Realife said...

I love the rules -- Especially "Never date your friend's ex" -- Especially :)

Be sure to go here and nominate your sweetest blogger so they can receive my Sweet Sensation Giveaway Package!!

Laura @ My Thoughts-Uninterrupted said...

The rules are awesome and so true. Love the post.

Liv Bambola said...

You got it!! Some times people need a reminder...

But also, it makes you think about your friends - are they doing all of that for you? xx

sribbler said...

be honest, be truthful and don't compare will add taste to a sweet friendship..

Anonymous said...

No man is an island but some are islands of resentment.
My friends and I have very different taste in men; not looks so much, but personality. This is a good thing. ~Mary

Sassy Britches said...

Absolutely. I was just thinking about my best friend when I was reading through this, and they all apply! I just need to regularly check in on MYSELF to make sure I'M holding up my end of the deal!

Jill said...

There should be a handbook! I love these rules.

Melissa said...

This is a wonderful post. I don't think I've always felt this way about my friendships, though as I get older I'm starting to realize how valuable my friendships are to keeping me sane and happy.

bodelou said...

these are great rules to live by. i should pass these on to my girls.


love the blog, btw