Friday, December 18, 2009

My Aha Moment


"A happy life is just a string of happy moments. But most people don't allow the happy moment, because they're so busy trying to get a happy life." - Abraham Hicks

A few days ago, my boss told me a story about a guy he knew who worked so hard his entire life and saved so much money for retirement, only to die of heart attack a week after he retired. The story touched my heart and opened my mind in a way I can't fully explain.

Truth be told, I've spent most of life planning for the future and trying to figure out my life's purpose. I plan my life to a T and base most of my happiness on the fruituition of my dreams. There are times when I become so obsessed with them, that I forget to live life at the moment and enjoy its simple pleasures. These past couple of months, I've been so sad (sometimes bordering on depression) just because I feel like nothing in my life is turning out the way I planned it to be. I become consumed with thoughts of bills I have to pay, the dream wedding I had to postpone, the baby I wished I have, that I tend to forget that I have a brand new, beautiful house and three nice cars, that I have a great husband who completely adores me, that I have family and friends who supports me, and that we have all the food we want on the table.

Hearing this story was an Aha moment for me. It completely opened my mind to a new way of thinking.

I don't wanna live like this guy. I don't wanna live for the future. I wanna live in the moment while I can, and live life to the fullest.

As James Openheim said, ' The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet.'

PS. Thanks to Liv from Bambola's Diary for that wonderful post card from Italy. You completely made my week! Enjoy your Europe trip!

6 comments:

Liv Bambola said...

Hey Beautiful Lady!

I'm so glad it arrived! :) I've only just recently started going through blogs because I have access to a pc now! *yay* This post was the perfect thing I needed to read and it's so great that you got to have your 'aha' moment. It's one of those things that no one can tell you or make you understand it's just a switch in you brain that clicks and then you realise there is a whole other perspective from which to look. <3

I hope you have an absolutely amazing Christmas and holiday season with your family.

All my love

Bambola xxx

Jamie @ Plum Crazy said...

I'm going to share that quote with my husband. He is the same way. He is always thinking about the next steps. Sometimes I have to remind him to live in the moment, to live life now and not wait for the future.

I like your aha moment, thanks for this post! Truly inspirational.

Jamie
http://hisnhertowels.typepad.com/jamie/

floreta said...

what quote is that? i like it.

and YES, this is the value of NOT planning :P i am the complete opposite as you. i am sooo bad at planning to a T. i'm more of a fly by the seat of my own pants/see where the wind takes me type of person.

actually, there is a whole movement called "lifestyle design" that is basically all about being happy in the moments and not basing your entire career on retirement/the future but having fun and fulfilling adventures NOW

Anonymous said...

very true...good post!

Americanising Desi said...

pomeranian it is :D

adorable and cuddly!

brochure printing said...

Wow so, cute! Very beautiful. I like your aha moment, thanks for this post! Truly inspirational. I hope you have an absolutely amazing Christmas and holiday season with your family. Good job!