Sunday, December 7, 2008

Winter Blues

Growing up in a tropical country where there's no such thing as a winter season, I used to be jealous of people who had seen and experienced snowfall. I'd see movies showing a snow-covered ground during christmas, and I'd wish I was there. In my young mind, it was so beautiful! There was nothing I wanted to experience more than a white christmas!

When I applied to graduate schools in US six years ago, I specifically chose universities in the northern part which will make my wish come true (although of course, that wasn't my main criteria in choosing the schools) . I was tired of the hot and humid weather, and I was more than ready to take on the cold winter!

I got my wish when I was accepted in a university in Ohio.

I still remember the first time I experienced the snow fall. Like a kid, I was so excited and happy! I called my family and told them the news. They were jealous! With my friends, I went out in the cold, played with the snow, tasted it and took silly pictures.

The happy feeling went on for a few days.

A month later though, reality sunked in. It was too darn cold for a tropical gal like me! I can't get out of the house without bundling up in gazillion layers of clothing! The novelty started to wear off. Soon enough, I can't wait for the winter season to be over and for the spring to come. Suddenly I missed my tropical country where it's warm all year round!

Over the course of years, I did learn to adapt and accept the fact that there will always be a winter season in this state (4 months, in fact). I don't care much for it though (I would have said hate, but it's such a strong word), especially when I'm driving. I've had a few near-accidents due to slippery, snowy roads, so during times that I don't have to go to work, I stay cooped up at home, watching DVDs and surfing the net, while sipping hot tea (like yesterday). There are days however, when I'm too antsy or when I'm with energetic Fiance, that I'd force myself to get out of the house and brave even a snowstorm. (I'd be nervous the whole time, even if Fiance's the one driving, so he has to calm me down by reassuring me that he's been doing it for more than a decade now.) He and I did just that last year. We braved a blizzard and drove for two hours on a normally forty five-minute drive, just to watch a Cavaliers game. The thick snow made it hard to see the road, but amazingly, we did ok. We were crazy, (I know, I know (",) - and I won't recommend it) but it was a fun and memorable adventure!

Honestly though, I can't wait for spring, and especially summer, to come. There's no better feeling than being on a beach and feeling the warmth of the sun's rays.

A friend of mine told me before that his mood changes with the weather, and I thought he was crazy. Now, I totally understand.


Lesson learned: Grass just always seems greener on the other side. The truth is, it's not.

4 comments:

Errant said...

:)exactly the same ..
In my country we never have snow.. actually i've never seen snow in my whole life .. but in TV. I used to think of it as the most romantic and joyful seen one can ever see. .. but i learned from friends that it's not as beautiful as it looks .. they hate it and they're jealous that we don't have snow in my area .. it gets slippery at times and so damn cold.

anyways, whatever God brings is good.

Lisa said...

my mood totally changes with the weather... i've learned to do and/or create fun once i a while throughout winter so that I don't dream of being a tropical gal too often.

i'm already dreaming of spring. i got stuck on the ice last night. :(

Maki said...

I really don't know where you're originally from, but I am a tropical gal as well.

Growing up in Hawaii, I'd always wanted to envy people in the other parts of the country, who live through winter seasons. It's so romantic and seem so much fun..
I mean, Holiday movies do such a great job doing that!

I did 9 months in NJ last year and I enjoyed spring, summer, fall and parts of winter.. It was really cold though!!!

But I guess, people do learn to adjust and try to enjoy it - otherwise it would be miserable!!

I loved this post!!!

ruthinian said...

Same here. This is only my 2nd winter here in the US and just like you I dreamt all my life to have a White Christmas. I still love it though. I enjoy ice fishing and camping in the snow with my hubby. For now, I still like it despite the many downsides. It's really beautiful to look at and though I came from a tropical country, I prefer cold than hot and humid weather. Oh well, different people have different preferences.

Keep warm.