Thursday, December 18, 2008

Dream Jobs

When I was a kid, there was no doubt in my parents’ mind that I would one day be a scientist. I’ve always asked questions of why the sky is blue, how the rain is formed or how people came to be. But like most kids my age, when asked what I wanna be when I grow up, I always say... a lawyer, a doctor or a teacher (depending on my mood). However, when I reached high school, I confirmed what my parents knew all along. I wanna be and was gonna be a scientist. I love science (especially chemistry), I was my school's bet in most science competitions and I was fascinated with McGyver. So it’s a no-brainer why, years later, I became a chemist.

That’s not to say, however, that being somebody other than a chemist never crossed my mind. If I weren't in this field, I probably had been (or would be in my next life) …

A psychologist. There’s just something about people’s brains that fascinate me. The way it works, how it processes information and its ability to store memory. I’ve always wondered why some people turn out to be geniuses while others seem to be idiots, and what makes crazy people take pleasure in having sadistic tendencies while I can’t even harm a bug and would faint at the sight of blood. The brain works in mysterious ways and I would have loved unlocking its mysteries.

A writer. I’ve always had this vision of me in swimsuit (my work attire) lounging under a big umbrella, writing a magazine article or a book somewhere in a Caribbean beach (my office), while sipping Margarita (okay… pineapple juice, since I’m not much of an alcohol drinker). In real life, writing might not be as glamorous as I try to make it sound, but I’ve always loved it. It’s how I usually express my thoughts and pour my sentiments. Well, this blog’s somehow helping me fulfill my dream of being one… if only I could get paid doing it!

A travel correspondent. This is one of the best jobs in the world. It’s like getting paid for taking a vacation! You explore the world, go on cruises, see the sights and then talk about it…. How did Anthony Bourdain get to be so lucky?

A Natural Geographic photographer. Nature always has a way of getting me awestruck. As a hiking and travel enthusiast, I am fascinated with all the wonders of the world. And to capture its magnificence in still pictures as a job … I’d work without overtime pay on weekends!

A grade school teacher. I adore kids (until they’re 13 years old! ;-) ). In this highly competitive world where a lot of people lie to each other and at times commit evil against one another, a child’s innocence and inherently good will is refreshing. It bolsters my sometimes-wavering faith in humanity. An environment surrounded by children reminds me of how it used to be when the world was simpler and life was worry-free. And kids have this natural thirst for knowledge that makes teaching so enjoyable! To me, being able to help mold kids into better people and help them create a better future is one of the most rewarding and honorable jobs of all.

So... what are yours?

7 comments:

Errant said...

very nice jobs .. I'd love to have any of them if I had a choice .. right ow I'm trying to fulfill my dream of being a writer ..

SheBloggs said...

Very interestting jobs! Sounds fun too. I always wanted to be a new anchor..lol Now I just want to write or procduce for a news channel, maybe do some research documentaries..

Fun stuff!! <3

Vodka Mom said...

okay. That's it. I OFFICIALLY love your blog.

King of New York Hacks said...

Being a NYC taxi driver almost feels like being a National Geographic photographer with all the things I see. Cool blog.

For Myself said...

Ummm..where the hell have you BEEN?? I think we may have been separated at birth.

How about an Outward Bound or NOLS leader? That wraps up almost all of your choices in one neat package. That would be my first choice.

Farnnay said...

I think that everyone that blogs, at some point or another in their life, wanted to be a writer, or will want to be a writer.

and the national geographic and travel correspondent careers sound like something i would have loved to do. maybe i wouldnt have been so good at the photography though.

but one thing ive ALWAYS ALWAYS wanted to be is a magazine editor.

however, im just settling for being a grade school teacher at the present moment.sigh.

C said...

just came across your blog as i am an "internet blog surfer slut." it caught my eye that you love "while you were sleeping." its one of my faves, too. nice blog. merry christmas and i'll be back.

C