Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Quantity vs. Quality

When I was a teenager, I used to equate quantity with success.

I measured my accomplishments by how many competitions I won and how many awards I got at the end of the school year. I measured my popularity by how many schoolmates knew me and how many friends I had. I measured my attractiveness by how many boys asked me on a date and how many guys I have kissed. I was happy and proud whenever I feel like I have The Number.

Years later, I grew up and came to a realization.

It didn't matter how many awards I won unless I win the grand prize. The number of friends I have didn't matter unless they're the true definition of best friends. It didn't matter how many guys liked me if they're not the guys I like.

There are successes that I still equate to quantity today, though. It's not the number of people, money or things any longer, but the number of years. I count the number of years I struggled as a graduate student, the number of years I've been working as a fulfilled chemist and the number of years I was happy with a guy.

Years from now, I will be happy when I can say I've been blissfully married for fifty years now. That to me is a success.

1 comments:

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks said...

Like you, I'm all about quality now. I've severely reduced the number of friends I have in order to focus on quality friendships with the people I have in my life.