Thursday, April 2, 2009

Taking Risks

Let's say you're traveling on a forest and reached a crossroad where you have to choose between two routes that lead to your destination. One is a safer, beaten path, with fewer obstacles along the way. It leads straight to your destination, but the view is anything but spectacular. The other is a more difficult, longer route but with the most amazing sights you'll ever see and the possibility of the most exciting journey you'll ever go through. Which route would you take?

I'd take the second route without hesitation.

I'd take the riskier and more exciting route because that is the only way to live life to the fullest. Life is too short to be wasted on dull, uneventful moments. It might be more dangerous and you might be slowed down by more obstacles, but then, the obstacles are what make victory sweeter in the end. When you finally reach your destination, your feeling of fulfillment could never be equaled.

I took the biggest risk of my life when I moved thousand of miles away from home to a different, unfamiliar place where I didn't know anybody and wasn't sure if I'd make it. I had a succesful job in my country, a family who loves me, a guy who adores me and a network of wonderful friends. But I left everything behind to pursue my dream of going to graduate school and starting an independent life. It was absolutely tough in the beginning. I spent nights crying of homesickness, but the fighter in me decided to hang on. As a result, I got my graduate degree, found an even greater job and met the true man of my dreams. I've never felt happier and more fulfilled.

And I'd rather take the risks than live the rest of my life asking questions of what if? Life is full of crossroads that require you to make decisions. You might make the wrong ones and fail, but the more important thing is, you took the risk. In truth, the biggest regrets in our lives are the risks we didn't take. Don't be a person who has to look back and wonder what they would have been or could have had. Move out of your comfort zone. There are only a few things in this world that can never be retrieved, and one of them is neglected opportunities.

The thing is, life is a one way street. No matter how many detours you take, none of them leads back. So take the more exciting road because you'll never pass that way again. And never allow failure to hinder you from reaching your destination. If on the way, you trip, just get up and move on. Move on stronger and wiser.

Don't allow life to be simply a journey, make it an adventure!

12 comments:

Melissa said...

Thanks for this post, I needed this little reminder this morning.

Moi said...

dont always stay in your comfort zone - i think i def took the rough road as I dont really know if I have a comfort zone!
great post - very inspiring and so so true!
thanks

dresdendoll said...

So true. I think people tend to get in a rut and get so used to doing the same "safe" routine everyday, they forget what it feels like to let go of all inhibitions and just jump.

floreta said...

you are so wise :)

i would rather take the winding path too than the straight and narrow.

i feel i am at a crossroads where i want to do the same thing you did. only backwards (to the philippines). i want a graduate degree and i want to be fluent again..

Sassy Britches said...

I was just thinking of posting the quote, "The only things you regret in life are the risks you didn't take." But you beat me to it! I heard that quote on the movie "Grumpy Old Men," and it has been a mantra of mine ever since. And you're right, it does make the destination that much more fulfilling!

Anonymous said...

risk is the ultimate life.
for what could happen if you dont reach, you'd just die but die not in vain!
i so dont like the idea of play it safe in most circumstances. makes me feel like a dud who knows nothing but to stay within the dog's leash.
i am so glad you'd take the other road and you know the worth of doin so :)

SheBloggs said...

Good post Cholie honey!

This is a battle I'm actually going through now. My friend wanted me to leave to go to college together 4 years, but I had a great job, and bills, so I took the road less traveled. (Robert Frost) Sooo now I feel like I need to make more gustier moves in my life. Playing it safe all the time isn't very self fulfilling.. Good read!

Michelle Fluttering Butterflies said...

I feel like I took that road when I was younger but somehow meandered onto the safe road somewhere along the way. Fallen to a rut but at least I realise that and I'm trying to claw my way out of it.. :)

all i need is love... said...

I agree! You always inspire me!!

Bridget said...

I really needed to read this. Thank you!

ChinkyGirLMeL said...

great great post...=) I'm stuck in a rut and well...yeah, we should take risks and make life not just a journey but an adventure. =)

C said...

what wonderful words to start the week with. you show evidence of wisdom, strength, inspiration, and gratitude. thank you for that.

C