Monday, April 27, 2009

Transition

When the closest experience you had of having a guy roommate is a one-week life with a friend who needed a temporary lodging, it takes a while to adjust to the concept of permanently sharing a house with someone. Of seeing that someone everyday of your life. Of asking for or being considerate of someone's opinion when it comes to household decisions. Even if that someone turns out to be... your husband.

I've lived alone and independently the last five years of my life. I had boyfriends (one at a time, of course) but I never lived with any of them. I had my own apartment and was happy being the queen of it. I go home whenever I want to, I cook whenever I feel like it, I do household chores whenever the mood strikes. A friend would call and ask me to meet him/her at the coffee shop, and off I'd go. I don't worry about sharing my bathroom or closet space with anybody. I don't worry about another person's taste in the apartment's decoration. In fact, as selfish as it sounds, when I'm home, I worry about nobody else but me.

Getting married and moving in together changed all that. But as much as I expected the changes, transitioning from a single life to a married one still caught me a bit off guard. I've been so used to living by myself that sometimes it doesn't register right away that not all the closet spaces are mine, that I can't just throw my clothes wherever I want to - even when I'm tired (because my husband is a cleanliness-freak), nor can I decorate my apartment with floral designs. I also do need to call my husband if I wanna work late or go out with my friends.

But more than house sharing, marriage is sharing a life together. That means I can't go spending all my money on clothes or leisurely travel on a whim anymore... because I have a future house and family to think of!

Sure, it takes only 15 minutes and a piece of paper to legally change your status from a single to a married lady, but it takes a few weeks, maybe months, for the i'm-a-married-woman-mindset to take effect!

But.... I wouldn't trade my life now for anything in the world. I felt that I've matured and officially became an adult. I'm learning to be a part of a couple, and I feel how it is to really belong. I'm learning to think more for the future that we (not just I) are planning to build. And believe it or not, I'm learning to be more domesticated. For some reasons, I'm starting to truly enjoy it. My husband makes it easier and more fun by sharing the household chores. And frankly, I coudn't wish for a better life than this!

Like most things in life, transition isn't always easy. But when you're blissful, it feels effortless.

13 comments:

floreta said...

i am an advocate of cohabitation.. or at least i was. i'm not so sure anymore.

i admire you for living on your own for so long and experiencing this for the first time as a married woman! there are articles that say people who cohabitate are more likely to get divorced or break-up, etc. which is where my ambivalence comes from. hmm, i should write about this :)

Cass said...

Thanks for posting on this subject, the first few paragraphs I could have written myself. I've been living by myself for the last three years and although the boyfriend and I spend time at each others places we don't plan on living together until we take the step to marriage.

He's a clean/tidy person and I'm not so much, mostly because I haven't had to be. I can see the difficulties when that step of cohabiting occurs but I look forward to it. You seem to be doing a great job.

Anonymous said...

i wish i had that much of a standing in my own life.
sometimes i feel i m being dragged and dont have an otherwise option.

you sure keep on inspiring me with such grand posts :)
and dont say it aint cuz it hit me right where it should have :D
hugs!

Smirking Cat said...

Living with someone is very, very difficult, especially once you are set in your ways. The right partner can make it worth it, but it's still an adjustment!

all i need is love... said...

Great post. As my kids would say "Sharing is caring..."

But, there are times....after 10 years of sharing and two kids later, that I do just want to shout out "It's MINE...just MINE..and ALL MINE!!" :)

But yes...sharing is wonderful thing.

C said...

dont worry hon, you will adjust, it just takes time and patience. AND it's STILL ok to have your own stuff, your own lil corner of stuff that is just for you. i still do. diane and i each have our stuff together and our own stuff, as well. best of both worlds, baby!

c

The Other K Wick said...

Great post and SOOOOO true. One year later....there are still things I am getting used to about being a wife. Best wishes for you both!!

Sassy Britches said...

And the last line says it all.

The Demigoddess said...

I lived with my ex-husband before we got married and we got to know each other better, faster, and in ways that would not have been possible if we didn't share a house.

Good luck and best wishes! Your last line sums it all. Yes,indeed love conquers all. If not, it conquers the household chores at least.

Marissa said...

that is wonderful. it's all part of the process, and of growing closer and building your married life. it's all part of the fun. enjoy!

salwa said...

Oh man. I feel like I will be writing this very same post, very soon!!!

Glad you're enjoying shared-living-hood :)

ChinkyGirLMeL said...

Living with someone takes a lot of getting used to doesn't it? But at the end of the day it's nice to know that there's someone who makes everything worth it. =)

Purple Ink said...

Chloie sorry for the lateness of this greeting but I still want to congratulate you for taking on the challeging married life. Best wishes my dear!