Monday, April 13, 2009

Love Knows No Cultural Boundaries

Never in my wildest childhood dreams did it occur to me, that I would someday travel thousands of miles away from home and meet my prince in a far, far away land. I've always thought that my knight in shining armor would be someone from my own country with the same culture, who eats the same food and speak the same language. I preferred it that way, since I thought that the connection and understanding between us would be better.

I came to the United States several years ago armed with that thought. Even though I was coming to a foreign soil, I hoped and prayed that I would still meet someone from my own land.

Somewhere along the way however, I met a guy with a different culture who opened my eyes to an entirely new way of thinking. He showed me that love knows no cultural or racial boundaries. We might each have different skin colors, eat different foods or observe different traditions, but deep inside, we're all humans who have the same ability to love, care for and connect with other human beings. It doesn't matter where you're from, the emotions that run through all our veins are the same. Although my relationship with him ended, I learned so much from him. He taught me, more than anything, to be more open-minded.

And so, I found happy ending in my real destined prince from this faraway land. Sure, he loves pizza and I love rice, he's crazy about football and I don't understand a thing about it, I speak a language he has no clue about, but... love holds us firm and strong. The truth is, we are much more similar than we are different. We have the same religious belief (which is that, we believe in God but not so much in religion), we both love to travel and hike, we agree on how to handle our finances, and we have the same visions for the future. More than that, he has all the qualities I look for in a guy... gorgeous, very smart, completely sweet, loves me unconditionally, knows how and when to say sorry, does his share of household chores... heck, what more can I ask for? His family even loves me like their own and make me feel like I really belong!

But most importantly, he and I have high respect for each other's cultures and has no difficulty on blending the two in our one shared life.

We still get the look from narrow-minded people occasionally (which I'm sure would also happen when I take him to the Philippines). But who cares? I know one thing for sure...

Love knows no racial or cultural boundaries. In fact, love knows NO boundaries.

11 comments:

floreta said...

:)

i have always dated white guys myself.
i came here much earlier than you.. age 3.
i have never been in an asian group before. but i am used to it. and i prefer white guys. ;) though i feel i need to experience more of asia to open up my eyes too. hehe

The Demigoddess said...

I used to be on a purely Asian diet, which means I only went out with Asian men. But I found that I learned so much from the foreign men I dated so now, I'm strictly on a White Man diet.

Love knows no boundaries. Very well, written.

Anonymous said...

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww hugsssssss!!! love knows no boundaries and no limits.
one thing is for certain without rules and law this is the best part of life!
:D

Sassy Britches said...

I am so touched by this post.

Melissa said...

This was a gorgeously kind post - thank you.

Michelle Fluttering Butterflies said...

Yes. I agree. I too found love away from my home country and with a man of a different culture and backround from me. It's different then I expected, but I wouldn't change it for anything..

Jill said...

Bravo. I so agree with this. What a beautiful, well written post my dear. I always feel inspired when I stop by and I've missed your posts.

And uh, sounds like our men have a lot of the same qualities. Lucky girls, aren't we? ;)

C said...

ya know i guess i didnt realize you were phillipino? is it? i dont care where a person comes from or what color they be, we all have the same souls and thats what matters. god loves variety, thats why he made an assortment. it's only the cowardest of us who judge and discriminate. please dont ever let anyone make you feel less than, just because you have a beautiful permanent tan.! i am so glad you found your soul mate.
whats meant to be will always be.

C

The Other K Wick said...

This is a great post!!! And is so touching!!! Best wishes to you both.

ChinkyGirLMeL said...

Awww...I love this post. Love Knows No Cultural Boundaries indeed. Back in the States, I did go out with white guys and also a couple other asian guys but that was ages ago... It's true, though our colors are different, at the end of the day we all share the same need to love and be loved in return. Very well written my dear. I love this post

Marissa said...

that is beautiful! Im so happy for you guys.