Friday, August 28, 2009

To Sis

Exactly twenty seven years ago today, a beautiful baby girl was born. Although in my 3 year-old eyes, she was amazing, I was also aware that she's my competition and I will no longer be the sole apple of my parents' eyes.

Growing up, we had a rocky relationship. We loved each other fiercely, but like most kids, fought fiercely as well. We argued over toys, bickered over dresses, and made each other cry with hurtful childish remarks. Despite that, we had each other's back when somebody tries to hurt one of us, and never let anybody come between us. I protected her like a true older sister, and loved her with all my heart. She loved me strongly back, and though she only admitted it years later, I knew she looked up to me as a role model ;-).

We haven't always been together. I left home when I went to college and then left the country for graduate school. Our communication was mostly letters and phone calls, but I was sure that our bond will always be there.

And then a year ago, she also came to the United States to pursue graduate studies. Although we're 4 hours away from each other, we try to see each other every month and talk to each other almost everyday. I've never felt this close to her. It just seems like our bond even became stronger. I feel so blessed to have a sister like her.

She's just wonderful! She's a woman with a strong character. She's petite but she's feisty and determined. I've always admired how she goes after her dreams with such fervor. And she's very smart. All in all, she's just amazing!

So to Sis... happy birthday! I love you so much. I wish you all the best! I have faith that you'll get your doctorate degree with flying colors, and I'm praying that you'll find the right guy soon (",) who will cherish you for all the you are.

2 comments:

Americanising Desi said...

awwwwwwww

happy birthday dear sister :D

i have three younger ones and i love two of them over my life :)

i love them like u do and though i dont show it to them but still .. sigh!

ChinkyGirLMeL said...

awww what a beautiful post. I hope your sister gets to read this. =)